Sunday, November 15, 2009

Hope

I'm restless.

And I don't mean the kind of restless that goes away after a day or two.

This is the kind of restless that hangs on for dear life and won't let go til it finds what it's looking for.

The problem (well maybe it's not a problem) is that I don't know why I'm restless. And I definitely have no idea what will take the restlessness away. But...

...maybe restlessness is good. Maybe it keeps me searching; striving for what is yet to come.

Maybe rest can be found in the midst of restlessness. Maybe peace can be found in the midst of turmoil. Maybe love can be found in the midst of hate. Maybe joy can be found in the midst of pain. Maybe forgiveness can be given and received in the midst of hurt. Maybe answers are found in the midst of confusion...

"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance character; and character hope. And hope does not disappoint us..." ~ Romans 8:28

We rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.

We suffer, but we still rejoice because it leads to perseverance. Perseverance builds character. Character leads to hope.

Hope does not disappoint.

Since it does not disappoint, we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God...we suffer...we persevere...we build character...we find hope...so we rejoice...and we suffer...and we persevere...and our character grows...and HOPE.DOES.NOT.DISAPPOINT.

When we persevere we can find rest, regardless of what is going on around us. When we persevere we can find peace in the midst of turmoil, love when it looks like there is only hatred, joy even when the pain seems to much to bear, forgiveness when the hurt weighs heavy on our hearts, and just enough faith to wait for God to reveal answers to us in his time.

We persevere because we have hope; hope in the glory of God. A hope that does not disappoint.

I'm restless. I'm clueless about my future. I don't have answers to many of my questions. And gosh darn it, I'm tired of school and grades and tests and papers and deadlines.

BUT,

I have put my hope in a God who knows where he's taking me. So I will persevere (through the tests and papers and grades and work and friendships and deadlines and failures and successes and joyful moments and painful moments and the monotony and _____)...and build character ...and find hope that does not disappoint.

"...those who HOPE in the Lord will renew their strength..." ~ Isaiah 40:31

No comments: